Educationists and trainers have been in search of ways to make learning easier.
The evolution went from manual through various digital methods such as power points. However, the use of Gamification is the latest trend in e-learning.
The emergence of gamification in e-learning has made learning more enjoyable, motivating, and engaging. Another cutting edge for this method of learning is that it is useful for various categories of learners. Many employers now use Gamification in e-learning to train their employees, parents use it for their kids, and some teachers are already exploring it as a training tool for their students.
What is Gamification?
The concept of Gamification is quite simple, yet it produces a vast and significant result. Gamification is incorporating gaming elements into e-learning platforms to facilitate engagements, create interest, motivate learners, and make learning fun-filled.
Gamification uses gaming elements such as competitions, leaderboards, badges, points, leveling, story, feedback, rewards, challenge, and other visual elements to facilitate e-learning.
Applications of Gaming in E-learning
There are several effective ways to apply gaming in e-learning. The application mode can be mostly dependent on the aim of the learning program and the categories of learners involved. Here are some of the practical applications of gamification in e-learning.
- Badges: Badges often represents and showcases excellence, and this is an effective way to motivate learners. It can also take the form of reward to promote user engagement on the learning platform. It can also be a form of recognition for users that has outstanding performance. Depending on the type of platform, badges can be permanent, which differentiates it from other applications like leaderboards and levels. The use of badges can encourage users to gain new skills, take more courses, and make more active participation.
- Points: Gamification in e-learning can allow users to accumulate points while learning. These points can serve as a form of reward and an indication of excellence for users.
- Virtual scenarios: Virtual scenarios allow the replication of real-life happenings in learning processes. This approach often makes learning realistic and practical. Learners can explore these scenarios to improve themselves and prepare for real-life scenarios.
- Competition: Gamification explores competitive learning processes. Learners can improve themselves rapidly in the quest to become the best out of many learners. It allows learners to compete against themselves in the game or compete against a standard level.
- Task-Oriented Applications: Task-oriented approach is useful in teaching learners specific processes. Users of the e-learning platform can be assigned a task that should be completed within a time frame. Most of these tasks are made to be fun to make the learners have fun during learning.
Benefits of Gamification in E-learning
Gamification in E-learning is becoming increasingly popular for a reason. This reason is primarily due to its advantages. These benefits include;
- It boosts motivation and encourages users
- Gamification enhances users’ experience and engagement during learning
- It attracts learners and enhances their desire to learn
- It is possible to monetize Gamification in e-learning for additional income
- High recall and better retention
- Proficiency and practice gain
In general, Gamification in e-learning is one of the fast-rising trends. Some of these approaches and applications can be made specifically for different categories of learners. If properly explored, the application of Gamification in e-learning comes with a lot of benefits.